kedd, május 23, 2006

Kontroll, re-viewing

Van jegyed?


Yes, I've watched this movie like 16 times now (hush up, Csilla, you were there too). No, it's not just because Csányi Sándor is in it. Yes, the guy is hot, but the movie's very good. Not to mention there's the added bonus that my dad gets all happy because I'm watching movies from/about the old country.

The movie's filmed entirely in the Budapest underground and it deals with those loveable, cuddly characters, the ticket inspectors. Anyone who's been nabbed by one of these folks knows what I'm talking about. Talk about people who take their job to heart. Anyway, this is an artistic film that actually succeeds, unlike I Love Budapest. It's really amazingly lighted and directed, and it has a kickass soundtrack to boot. Plus a lot of hilarious scenes revolving around these guys trying to get the system freeloaders to buy tickets/pay the fines. There are a lot of mystical overtones, and a thriller subplot (I don't think it qualifies as a plot, really, since we never know what the deal is with the serial killer) that in a way reminded me of Fight Club.

The main characters are all sympathetic, though I personally wouldn't want to run into most of them, and some of them are downright loveable, like Béla or Zsofi. The ending involves no flying cars at all, for which I'm quite grateful. Actually, the ending was really nice.

This being a European movie, the whole thing is completely left to the viewer to digest. There are no explanations of what happened, why it happened, why Bulcsú can't leave the underground, what he did before getting this crappy job, why Zsofi wears a bear suit, why no one asks Bulcsú why he's always bleeding, or even something that really bugged me: where does Bulcsú keep his salary?

The subtitles here are way better than in I Love Budapest. They made sense and didn't seem stilted or silly. And the intro with the undeground guy is too funny. And did I mention Csányi Sándor's in it?