csütörtök, május 18, 2006

Z, explaining the meaning of the

No, it doesn't stand for Zorro. Hmmmm. Emma Zorro Almásy.. now there'd be a name to remember, no? But alas, it actually stands for Zsófia (which I think is a really nice name, if I say so myself), and it's not a Z, but a Zs, which is one letter. No, really. It's one letter, like cs, or ly.

My parents thought they'd be very clever and give their kids English first names and Hungo middle names. That way, everyone's happy. I don't complain...could've been worse, could've been Zsuzsanna, which is a beautiful name and one of my favorites, but spelling it over the phone to customer service reps who invariably hail from India ("My name is Aniruddha, but call me Bob") might be very, but very painful. "Emma," OTOH, is very easy to spell. It's a nice 4-letter name (though when I'm in trouble with my parents, it turns into a 4-letter expletive), the kind you'd give to a dog, for instance, since it's so easy to remember. :)