péntek, május 19, 2006

Pony, one trick

My one and only culinary achievement is chicken paprikash. Well, ok, I can make Cafe Borgia now, but come on, a monkey can make that, and I'm no monkey. I'm not all that interested in cooking (a portion of the audience gasps. You know who you are); I'm more your take-out kind of person. But chicken paprikash is something that for whatever reason I can actually make, and it comes out ok. I'm not going to win any ribbons or anything, but people don't get sick after eating it, and actually some people have said it's pretty good, and without me having to pay them a bribe. So I'm making the stuff for tonight's dinner. My brothers and their wives and their kids are here, and then there's El Geeko and me, and my parents, and El Geeko's parents. So I'm making enough to feed an army. The part I hate the most is the onions. Chopping those things is really nasty. The part I like the most is the sour cream, which I kinda like eating right out of the container, with a spoon. Whoever invented/discovered/developed sour cream, thank you!

I don't make noodles though. My mother, otoh, does. She actually makes them from scratch, as do my grandmothers. I think that's just way too much work, so personally I'd use egg noodles from the store, but apparently that's some kind of misdemeanor in my family. So my mother is making noodles now. She also likes to make dumplings, another thing I can't make, and refuse to.

My mom actually made all kinds of goodies today, so people will have something to nibble on before dinner, because heaven forbid they should experience even mild hunger. One of the things I'm addicted to that she makes is lángos. She's making some now, and she knows the first batch is already pretty much gone. Well, I do need my strength to surf the Net after all.